Getting a good night sleep is significant to one’s health. However, there are different factors that affect the level of sleep such as room temperature, stress level and comfort.
The mattress also plays a big role to obtain a good sleep. If you’re thinking to buy a new mattress, make sure to know what you should look for.
According to experts, a good mattress should be able to support your body in such a way that your spine must be in a proper curvature. Likewise, your shoulders, head, buttocks and heels should be in proper alignment.
There are different types of mattress to choose from and the most common are the memory foam mattress and air mattress. These mattresses provide distinct features and benefits not to mention the constructions.
Comparison Between Memory Foam and Air Mattress
|Memory Foam||Air Mattress|
|Longevity||Avg. 10 Years||Avg. 5 Years|
|Popular Memory Foam Mattress||Popular Air Mattress|
- Memory foam – A memory foam is made from synthetic foam. The best feature of this type of mattress is that it takes the contour of your body while you’re sleeping. It is designed with several layers of solid foam core, thus also called as viscoelastic foam.
- Air mattress – An air mattress seems like a traditional mattress, but instead of wood framing and metal springs, its core is filled with air. The core is separated with multiple air pockets or air-filled compartment that are made of reinforced plastics or rubber enclosed with foam padding.
The overall lifespan of the mattress is another important consideration when buying a new one.
- Memory foam – A foam mattress can be useful for about 10 years also. However, the high density beds may last longer than the low density beds. You can enjoy full warranty coverage against deep impressions for 10 years.
- Air mattress – This type of mattress has slightly longer lifespan because you can replace many of its parts. It can be useful for an average of 10 years. But, its warranty usually ends within 5 years.
Users of both mattresses were giving good reviews in terms of support and pressure relief.
- Memory foam – A foam mattress provides good support for proper back alignment as it conforms to the body shape of the user. Thus, this means that it can prevent and relief pain on pressure points.
- Air mattress – An air mattress also offers good support, but mainly depends on the firmness of the bed. The built in air chambers offers higher degree of conformability for utmost support.
Motion isolation and noise
Sleeping in a mattress can make or break a good night sleep especially if you’re not alone sleeping on it. With this, it makes sense to choose the one that features excellent motion isolation.
- Air mattress – An air mattress show more motion transfer particularly those models that feature single chamber. Likewise, you can also expect for potential noise with an air mattress. The pressure within the bed may decrease while you’re sleeping and may disrupt your sleep.
- Foam mattress – If you want a bed that provides better motion isolation and noise-free, the best option is the foam mattress. It’s because a foam mattress has absorptive natural properties, thus limiting partner disturbance.
Obviously, the temperature of the mattress plays a big role to achieve maximum comfort. You can expect for a good night sleep if the bed doesn’t make you feel hot while sleeping.
- Foam mattress – Some users of a memory foam mattress have complaints about sleeping hot. But, you can also find other types and brands of foam that are plant-based, thus less heat is apparent.
- Air mattress – The air mattress has fewer complaints when it comes to the temperature while sleeping on it.
- Memory foam – Shopping for a memory foam mattress is easier than an air mattress. You can find foam mattress in local stores, but if you’re looking for other brands the best way is to shop online.
- Air mattress – You can find this type of mattress from mall stores selling branded mattresses or from specialty mattress outlets.
Knowing the proper way to maintain the mattress is an important aspect to enhance its usage.
- Foam mattress – This type of mattress requires minimal maintenance. To clean the mattress, you can use a vacuum to remove the dust and you can rotate it every 6 months.
- Air mattress – It is important to clean the internal parts of the air mattress frequently to avoid mildew or mold build up. Occasional maintenance is required to other parts of the air mattress like the pumps, hoses and seals. You can also vacuum the topper.
If you’re planning to buy a new mattress, it makes sense to know whether the type or model that you want offers the best owner’s satisfaction. The foam mattress has higher ratings as compared to the air mattress.
Both of the air and foam are specialty mattresses, thus you should be prepared to shell out big amount of money. However, the average foam mattress is low-priced than the average air bed.
- Air mattress – The primary benefit of using an air mattress is that you can adjust it according to the firmness that you want. It can be comfortable to sleep on air bed as it makes you feel weightless. Since your weight is spread throughout your body while lying on an air bed, you can ensure that the pressure points are reduced.
- Foam mattress – Unlike with the air mattress, the body weight of the owner is spread throughout the mattress, thus eliminate pressure points. Likewise, it also conforms to your body’s shape that’s why it’s more effective to prevent pains than the air mattress.
A foam mattress offers distinct function and feels. It is perfect for those people experiencing sleep problems and back issues.
- Air mattress – The level of support that an air mattress offers is lower than the foam mattress. This is not ideal for people who need to sleep on firm surface as it can cause backaches. Likewise, this type of mattress may lose its firmness overtime and requires air refilling to maintain the desired firmness.
- Foam mattress – The main drawback of a foam mattress is that it retains the body heat onto your bed. This may result to discomfort of sleeping on a foam mattress for a long time.
Both types of mattress share similar goals and that is to provide enhanced support to reduce and relieve pains and aches.
Overall, a foam mattress is more advantageous in terms of pressure reduction, conformability, noise, maintenance, durability, motion isolation and owner satisfaction.
On the other hand, an air mattress excels at providing firmness adjustability and sleeping cooler.
Choosing the best mattress depends on the personal comfort preferences of the owner. That’s why before making your purchases, you should take time checking the reviews of the current users and the ratings.