Are you looking for the best memory foam mattress reviews?
If you are, Touchamemory.com is the right place for you.
Here you will find unbiased reviews of memory foam mattress, toppers, pillows and the bed. We cover all the leading brands and models, providing detailed information about their features, advantages, disadvantages and real customer reviews.
Purchasing a memory foam mattress or topper can really alter your whole life, and you have to know about all the factors of each mattress or topper before you can make an informed decision.
We also publish regular posts, infographics and in-depth guides about choosing the top quality mattress and toppers, sleeping problems, back pain, bed frame etc. Going through this information will definitely help you to get the best memory foam mattress and topper in the market.
7 Best Memory Foam Mattress Comparison
|Brand||Layla Sleep||Zinus||Lucid||Signature Sleep||Casper Sleep||Nectar||Tuft & Needle|
|Firmness||Firm; Medium Plush||Medium||Medium||Medium||Medium||Plush||Medium|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty||10 years limited||25 years limited||10 year limited||10 year limited||Lifetime warranty||10 years limited|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Ultimate Buying Guide That Will Help You To Choose The Best Memory Foam Mattress
If you overspend on a mattress you don’t end up using, it can be really bad when you have to return it or send it back because it’s so cumbersome and laborious.
Before diving into the information concerning choosing a great memory foam mattress, you should know a little bit about the history of this type of mattress. This information will help you when you are working to learn more about this type of mattress so that you can purchase one of your own.
A NASA project is responsible for the birth of the memory foam mattress. The medical industry learned about this mattress material and thought that it may be beneficial in preventing bed sores in their bedridden patients.
This type of mattress is unique in that it was able to spread out the pressure of someone’s body weight so that no specific point was getting more pressure than the others. It also responded well to temperature to prevent sweating that can make the skin moist and further compromise its integrity.
When the first memory foam was created, it had a tendency to crack or compress over time, making it a not very durable mattress option. Tempur-Pedic was the first company to take the memory foam mattress concept and work on it to make it a much more durable mattress option. Patients started buying the mattresses and reporting that they would wake up more refreshed and with less back pain than before.
When this type of mattress first hit the market, it was very expensive and certain options are still costly. However, with new manufacturers in the game, this has brought costs down so that more people can purchase this type of mattress for their bed at home. This has also resulted in different types of memory foam and other mattress components, giving consumers far more choices.
With all of the options available today, consumers will find it easier to find a memory foam mattress that is comfortable and able to meet their needs. The key is to take your time and do your research so that when you make a decision, you can be confident that the mattress will be comfortable and that it will last for a long time.
Memory Foam Mattress Density
Density is one of the most important things that you need to explore when you are looking at buying this type of mattress. You want a mattress with about four pounds of density to get a durable mattress that perfectly marries both firmness and softness.
Since each manufacturer measures density a bit differently, you can use the range of three to six pounds to get a comfortable and high-quality mattress.
When you are using density as a measure of firmness or softness, remember that a higher number, so in this case, five or six, will be more firm. If you want a softer mattress, choose a density of three to four.
You also want to consider your sleep position when you are looking for the right density. If you sleep on your side, you want a softer density, so three or four pounds. If you sleep on your stomach or your back, you want a firmer density, so five or six pounds.
Three Additional Quality Markers to Explore
In addition to the density of the mattress, there are three other things you want to look at to ensure that you choose a high-quality mattress. These qualities include:
- Indentation load deflection: This looks at the various layers and how they play into the comfort of the mattress. You want to find a mattress with an indentation load deflection that ranges from 10 to 16. Most memory foam mattresses on the market fall within this range.
- Location of the manufacturer: It is best to stick to mattresses that are made in Canada or the United States. This is because the materials are regulated and more likely to be safer.
- mmHg: This looks at how a mattress reacts against pressure. You want a mattress that works to relieve pressure and this occurs at 32 mmHg or lower. When there is less pressure, you will not have as many pressure points. This means that you can get more comfortable and sleep easier.
Make sure that when you are shopping for your mattress that you look at the ideal density range, as well as these three factors. When you choose a mattress that meets all of these points, you can be confident that it is high in quality, durable and that it will provide optimal comfort.
Look at the Thickness of the Mattress
The thickness of a memory foam mattress will help to determine how comfortable the mattress is and the level of support that you get from the mattress. The average thickness is three to four inches because this type of mattress is already very supportive.
However, if you have a mattress of this type with a lower density, it is a good idea to increase the thickness so that you have adequate support. Support is important because it keeps your body in alignment and helps to prevent you from waking up with problems like back pain or muscle soreness.
Types of Foam Used in Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses have become popular in recent years, but many people are unaware that there are different types of foam to choose from. It is important to pay attention to this because the different types of foam have different benefits.
Consider your sleeping style, your sleep needs and your sleep habits to choose a material that works best for you to keep you comfortable throughout the night.
There are three primary types of foam to choose from, including:
- Traditional: This type uses the NASA-developed viscoelastic material. This is the most popular type of memory foam mattress and most mattresses of this type are made of traditional memory foam. This type comes in several density options, but it can hold body heat making your bed warmer than you may prefer.
- Latex: This is another option that you can look into and it is ideal if you want a memory foam mattress that is made out of more natural materials. This is an eco-friendly option and it is least likely to cause problems with allergies. However, some people are allergic to latex and will not be able to use this mattress type if they have this allergy.
- Gel: This is a newer type of memory foam mattress material that was created to help keep people cool when they sleep. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the gel material allows for better airflow so that heat is unable to accumulate. The level of comfort and support are comparable to a traditional memory foam mattress.
While the traditional type is the most popular and most widely available, many people are now turning to the gel type of mattress because it has an added benefit. This is because the gel type and traditional type offer the same level of support and comfort, but the gel type also helps to keep your body cool as you sleep.
This prevents sweating so that you are comfortable and to prevent sweat from absorbing into your mattress. If a memory foam mattress absorbs enough sweat, it can start to smell and you may not be able to remove the smell.
Learning More About Memory Foam Mattress Sizes
Use this chart to learn more about the sizes that memory foam mattresses come in. This will help you to choose the right size so that it fits into your bedroom and provides ample space for you to get comfortable when you are sleeping.
|Mattress Size||Size in Inches||Mattress Description|
|Twin Mattress||Measures 39 inches by 75 inches||This type of mattress is the smallest and usually meant for children or dorm furniture.|
|Twin XL Mattress||Measures 39 inches by 80 inches||This mattress is the same width as a traditional twin, but a few inches longer.|
|Full Mattress||Measures 54 inches by 75 inches||This mattress is wider than a twin mattress, but it has the same length.|
|Full XL Mattress||Measures 54 inches by 80 inches||This mattress is longer than a twin XL mattress but has the same width.|
|Queen Mattress||Measures 60 inches by 80 inches||This mattress is the traditional mattress size for a couple sharing a bed.|
|King Mattress||Measures 76 inches by 80 inches||While this mattress has the same length of a queen mattress, it is considerably wider, offering more sleeping space.|
|California King Mattress||Measures 72 inches by 84 inches||This is the longest mattress option available, but it is four inches less wide than a king mattress.|
Exploring the Bedding Options for this Type of Mattress
When you are looking at memory foam mattresses, you are likely looking at revamping your entire bed for optimal comfort. You will likely keep your bed frame, but replace the other components.
In this case, you want to look at the mattress itself, a mattress topper if you plan to keep your current mattress and your pillows whether you are switching mattresses or not.
Your pillows play a big role in your overall comfort too so you likely need to get new ones when you switch over to memory foam to ensure that all of your bedding is cohesive.
The mattress will be the biggest purchase and the purchase that you spend the most time debating. This guide offers you all of the information that you need to make the right choice, but listing the most important factors right here will make it easy to refer back to.
When you are looking at getting a new memory foam mattress, you want to first consider the density so that you get the right level of firmness or softness. Next, you want to make sure that the thickness is right so that you have adequate support.
The last thing you want to look at when you are choosing this type of mattress is the type. To choose the right type, consider how much support you need, whether you have bad allergies and whether you tend to sleep hot or cold. These three factors are really all you need to determine the right type for you.
If you plan on keeping your current mattress, but you still want the benefits of memory foam, a memory foam topper is going to be your best option. These offer things like support and proper body alignment just like the full mattress, but for a fraction of the cost. If you are on a tight budget, but you need a memory foam mattress to get better sleep, a topper is ideal for you.
Lastly, you need to choose a pillow that will support your neck and upper body so that your whole body is in the proper alignment as you sleep at night.
You want a pillow that contours to your body and there are memory foam pillows that you can choose from. Just like the mattresses, this type of pillow offers adequate support so that you can sleep in the right posture to wake up refreshed and pain-free.
Looking at Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
If you already have a mattress that you like, but also want to try a memory foam mattress, a memory foam mattress topper is the perfect compromise. Start by learning about the benefits of a memory foam mattress topper, which include:
- Comfort: You can take any mattress and make it more comfortable by adding this type of topper to it. Just make sure that you choose a topper that fits your mattress size so that everything is fully covered.
- Protection: While comfort is usually the primary motivation for this type of topper, it also works to protect your primary mattress. You will be able to protect your mattress from things like staining and other issues.
- Couple’s comfort: When you use this type of topper, you will not feel as much movement when your partner moves at night. Memory foam absorbs movement, so if your partner tends to adjust a lot during the night, you will not have to worry about them waking or disturbing you.
- Big savings: A memory foam topper is far less expensive than a whole memory foam mattress. You get the chance to try out this type of mattress without all of the investment or commitment.
- Aches and pains: People who wake up with pain often report that adding a memory foam topper to their mattress helps to alleviate it. You can choose the level of firmness to ensure that you are comfortable and pain-free throughout the night and upon waking.
This information is generally enough to determine if you will benefit from a memory foam topper. Since you can quickly put one on and take one off, you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.
Most people report that they notice a positive difference in their sleep after just one or two nights of sleeping on this type of mattress topper.
Just like a memory foam mattress, there are multiple options when it comes to a topper. You want to choose the right density so that you get the level of firmness or softness that you need to sleep comfortably.
You also want to pay attention to the thickness since this also plays a role in your overall comfort.
Lastly, choose a material that you will find easy to clean since, in addition to promoting comfort, your topper will also work to protect your mattress from things like liquid spills.
What Does the CertiPUR-US Label on this Type of Mattress Mean?
If you want to avoid exposure to certain potentially dangerous chemicals in your home, you want to look for a memory foam mattress that carries the CertiPUR-US label. When mattresses have this label, you can also be confident that they have been rigorously tested and that they meet a very strict set of criteria. This means that the mattress is of the highest quality. Mattresses with this label are also:
- Made without any known ozone depleters
- The mattress does not contain any PBDE flame retardants
- The mattress has low volatile organic compound emissions to ensure optimal air quality in your home
- The mattress is made without any formaldehyde
- The mattress does not contain any phthalates
- The mattress is made without any lead, mercury or other types of heavy metals
What Are the Pros and Cons of Memory Foam Mattresses?
You want to explore the good and bad of this type of mattress to make sure that it is the best choice for you. Since sleep is so critical for overall health, you need a mattress that only promotes it.
Memory foam mattresses are good for the majority of people, but you still want to look at them without any bias so that you can make the best decision. To do this, you need to understand all of the pros and cons that are associated with this mattress type.
The pros of memory foam include:
- This type of mattress conforms to the sleeper’s shape to help reduce spinal stress
- Many people notice a reduction in neck and back pain with long-term use of this mattress type
- Body weight is evenly distributed on this type of mattress
- This mattress works to realign the spine, keep the joints in proper alignment and reduce problems with pressure points
- It may help to correct breathing when someone is sleeping
- Two people can sleep in the same bed without interruptions since this mattress type absorbs movement
- Many memory foam mattress types are hypo-allergenic so they do not hold on to dust mites and other allergens, making them ideal for people who have allergies
- There is a large selection of this type of mattress on the market, making it easy to find one to fit your needs
The cons of memory foam include:
- This type of mattress tends to cost more than other mattress types
- The temperature has an impact on firmness, with the mattress being firmer in the cold and softer in the heat
- Certain types of memory foam absorb heat and may be too warm at night
- Some memory foam mattresses have a life of five to eight years
Who Can Benefit from Using a Memory Foam Mattress?
One of the first industries to take notice of memory foam was the healthcare industry and this is because this type of mattress does come with a number of potential health benefits.
Consider the following if you are trying to determine if this type of mattress is ideal for you:
- You have muscle or joint pain that is worse when you wake up in the morning
- You have pressure points on your body that your current mattress is making worse
- You have poor posture when you sleep at night
- You have breathing problems, such as sleep apnea
- You have allergies
Terms You Need to Know When You Are Shopping for a Memory Foam Mattress
There are a few terms you want to familiarize yourself with before you head out to shop for your memory foam mattress. Knowing these terms will help you to quickly assess the mattresses that you are considering purchasing. These terms include:
- Density: This refers to how durable the mattress will be. To determine the overall density of a mattress, you have to weigh a 12-inch cube of it. In general, the densities of this type of mattress range from 2.5 to 4 pounds per foot cubed. Most chiropractors and doctors recommend that you choose a mattress with an average density of 4 pounds.
- Edge support system: This looks at making the edges of the mattress more supportive by using a stiffer polyurethane foam.
- Impression load deflection: This looks at the firmness of the mattress. 20 is the firmest and 8 is the softest.
- Natural latex: This means that the latex component of the mattress uses the Talalay or Dunlop manufacturing process to process the latex which comes from Hevea brasiliensis tree sap.
- Resilience: This term refers to the mattress’s ability to rebound. When exposed to pressure, the higher the resilience rating means that the rebound potential is better. You want higher ratings because this translates into a more durable foam used in the mattress.
- Synthetic latex: This type of latex comes from petrochemicals and it is made in a laboratory.
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Memory Foam Mattresses
If you are planning to buy a mattress, it is important to know some important information about the product. The easiest way to find valuable information is to read the FAQ section. The frequently asked questions of customers will help you make a sound decision prior to buying the product.
How to find a good mattress?
A good mattress should be designed to promote and support good posture as well as comfort while lying or sleeping on it. But the goodness of the mattress varies depending on the preference of the person who will use it.
What makes a good mattress?
Buying a good mattress is an investment considering its cost. Thus, a buyer should consider all the necessary factors including durability and comfort. Sleeping on a good mattress will make you wake up pain-free and refreshed.
Is it comfortable to sleep in a memory foam mattress?
Thus, the comfort factor of the mattress depends on the personal preference of the user. Some prefer a soft mattress while others prefer a firm mattress.
The memory foam mattress is known as viscoelastic polyfoam which combination of soft and firm, most people will find them to be comfortable.
What is the better type of mattress?
There are several types of mattresses to choose from. All of them are designed to provide comfort. To determine the type of mattress that will work best, you should test it prior to making a purchase.
How do mattresses vary?
Mattresses have different designs, but the main difference is the structure. The structure of the foam determines the comfort and durability of the mattress. Some are made of gel and memory foam while others made of encased coils. The most modern type of mattress is made of Purple’s patented Smart Comfort Grid.
What Is a Tempur-Pedic mattress?
A Tempur-Pedic mattress is made of Tempur material that is very versatile. Such material is adaptable to the shape and weight of the body, adjusts to the body’s temperature, and gives maximum support and alignment of the body. Thus, the user can expect for undisturbed sleep.
How to choose the right size of the mattress?
There are different sizes of mattress. When buying a mattress, it is important to select the appropriate size. Choosing the appropriate size will ensure that you can sleep comfortably. Prior to purchasing a mattress, it is essential to measure the bedroom so that it will fit exactly to your room.
Which brand of memory foam mattress is the best?
Choosing the best memory foam mattress depends on the needs and preferences of the buyer. Each brand of the mattress offers distinctive features. The best thing to do is to do a research or a test from the different brands so that you’ll find the one suited to your preferences. Choose a brand that has more positive reviews from its previous buyers.
What are the different brands of mattresses?
When you buy a mattress make sure that you have an idea about the different brands available in the market. Some of the popular brands of the mattress include the following:
- Spring Air
- Stearns and Foster
- Ashley Sleep
- Casper Sleep
- Nature’s Sleep
- Signature Sleep
- Layla Sleep
- Tuft & Needle
Which is better a spring mattress or a memory foam mattress?
If you are an overweight person, the best option is the spring mattress. This type of mattress provides better support to your body, thus promotes better posture. On the other hand, a memory foam mattress is a smart choice for those frequently experiencing muscle pain. But again, it depends on the needs of the individual. Read Memory Foam Vs Spring Mattresses
Which is better a latex mattress or a memory foam mattress?
These two mattresses were built similarly. They only differ on the overall feel. A latex mattress provides more solid, springy feel. While a memory foam mattress provides a floating effect.
Does a memory foam mattress contain toxic chemicals?
It is true that memory foam mattresses contain toxic chemicals. A CertiPUR-US label memory foam mattress is toxin-free that’s why you are safe sleeping on it even for long hours. A brand of memory foam mattress that carries this label have passed the US standard and rigorously tested. Thus, it is expected that the mattress is of high quality. Some of the toxic chemicals that may be present in some memory foam mattresses include the following:
- PBDE flame retardants
- Ozone depleters
- Heavy metals like mercury and lead
- Volatile compound emissions
Does a cheap mattress not good for your health?
Obviously, if you will buy and use a memory foam mattress that is made from low-quality material and toxic materials, it would be detrimental to your health. Thus, to ensure that it would not cause a problem to your health make sure to pay attention to the materials, not the cost. Again, choose a mattress that has Certi-PUR label because it is not harmful to your health.
Likewise, this type of mattress is also eco-friendly. Manufacturers that passed the Certi-PUR standard followed a process that is safe to the environment.
Which mattress can help to alleviate severe back pain?
Sleeping in the right type of mattress can help to relieve severe back pain. If you don’t have an idea which mattress will alleviate your back pain, you should consult a doctor or a chiropractor. It is important to choose the right mattress appropriate for your health condition. You should also consider choosing a mattress that will help to achieve proper posture. This way you can expect to have a sound sleep and no pain in the morning.
How does a memory foam mattress help to reduce back pain?
A firm mattress is the best choice to reduce back pain. It’s because a firm mattress helps to keep the natural and proper alignment of the spine. Thus, prevents back pain. Likewise, odd placement of the spinal muscles and vertebrae is also prevented.
How to clean a mattress?
Doing the right way to clean a mattress partly depends on the type of mattress or its brand. Before cleaning the mattress make sure to read first the user’s manual to avoid any damage. As much as possible, you should also use a mattress cover to protect it from things that make it dirty such as liquid stains.
How to remove the mold from the mattress?
There are instances when mold builds into the mattress. You have no choice but to clean it out. But it’s not easy to clean the mold because you need to clean it up to the deeper layers. This may result in significant damage to the mattress. Most likely it is not possible to clean the mold and the best option is to dispose of the mattress. Keep in mind that mold is dangerous to your health.
How to clean and remove the stains from the mattress?
The first thing to do is to read the user’s manual to know the proper way of cleaning the stains. You should use cleaning materials suitable for the materials of the mattress. Be extra careful in using bleach because it is not safe to use to all types of mattresses.
How to clean the milk stain?
To clean the spill of milk on the mattress, you should use a cotton cloth or a dry microfiber to absorb the milk. If there are traces of milk left, you can use a mild cleanser. Make sure that the cleaned area is dried thoroughly to avoid mold build-up or any moisture-related issues.
What brand of memory foam mattress can save you money?
Buying a memory foam mattress is an investment. It can cost you from hundred dollars to thousand dollars depending on its brand. Before making your purchase, you should determine first your budget and preferences. Stick to your budget, but also pay attention to the quality of the mattress.
How to order an affordable mattress online?
Many buyers have been saying that buying online can save you money because it is cheaper than buying in malls. But it doesn’t guarantee to get a high-quality product. If you are planning to buy a mattress online make sure to check if the online seller is reputable. The seller must be certified by the Better Business Bureau and easy to contact. There should be a wide range of mattress brands being offered and offers a return policy. In addition, the seller must disclose all the costs of the mattress including the shipping fee.
All the information discussed above can help every potential buyer in making a good decision. Make sure to select a memory foam mattress suitable to your needs and preferences. May this buying guide help you when doing research for the different mattresses available.
For further guidance, you can consult your physician or a chiropractor before buying a mattress. This is essential especially if you have special needs or health issues such as joint or muscle problems.
Sleeping on the right type of mattress promotes good sleep and helps your body to recover. Hence, you can ensure waking up the following day fully energized.